Note: This page is about the Chesapeake Bay Bridge crossing near Annapolis, Maryland. If you’re looking for information about the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, near Virginia Beach and Norfolk, Virginia, follow this link.
Chesapeake Bay Bridge Current Traffic Conditions
- Chesapeake Bay Bridge current conditions – live audio online. A nice little service from the Maryland Transportation Authority. You can also get the same information by calling 1-877-BAYSPAN.
- Live Chesapeake Bay Bridge Webcams. Check on traffic conditions before you leave home with these live webcams.
- Maryland Transportation Authority Travel Advisories. The official word on Bay Bridge lane closures, etc., updated weekly.
- Weekly Scheduled Lane Closure Information. Check for upcoming construction and lane closures.
- Chesapeake Bay Weather – Weather in the region.
About Chesapeake Bay Bridge Traffic
Chesapeake Bay Bridge traffic can get heavy at times, especially during summer weekends as people travel Route 50 to and from the beaches.
We’ve provided some traffic information here to help with trip planning, including links to current traffic condition and traffic webcams, plus some tips on the best time to travel Route 50 and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to miss traffic jams.
There’s a toll to cross the Bay Bridge, but it’s only collected on the Annapolis/east-bound side of the bridge. Current toll rates for all vehicle types and sizes.
If you want to stop and take a break around the Bay Bridge, there are lots of restaurants and places to stay in the Kent Narrows area, just east of the bridge. The Queenstown Premium Outlets, located east of the Bay Bridge is a good place to stop and do some shopping and walking around.
Best Times to Travel across the Chesapeake Bay BridgeYou can avoid traffic congestion by traveling during off-peak hours. According to the Maryland Transportation Authority, the best times to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge during the peak summer season are:
- Fridays before 10:00 a.m and after 10:00 p.m.
- Saturdays before 7:00 a.m. and after 5:00 p.m.
- Sundays before 10:00 a.m. and after 10:00 p.m
Using EZ Pass for the Chesapeake Bay BridgeYou may be able to get through the toll booth faster with EZ Pass. EZ Pass collects the fare from a transponder on your windshield. You can order EZ Pass online or pick up an EZ Pass to Go package at participating Weis Markets, Giant Food Stores, and MVA offices.