St. Michaels, Maryland
Visiting St. Michaels
St. Michaels’ combination of popular marinas, inns and bed & breakfasts, shops, and restaurants make it a favorite destination for boaters as well as those visiting by car. Located on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, the town is close to other popular destinations such as Easton and Oxford.
St. Michaels has an assortment of restaurants offering everything from casual pizza to gourmet dining. Tripadvisor’s restaurant reviews are a great resource for selecting something to suit your taste and budget. Read St. Michaels Restaurant Reviews
The Town the Fooled the British
St. Michaels is known as “the town that fooled the British” due to the clever action of early settlers. During the early morning hours of August 10th, 1813, British barges off the coast of St. Michaels planned an attack on the town and a harbor fort. The people of St. Michaels got word of the impending attack and hoisted lanterns high up onto the masts of their sailboats and into the tops of trees. The high lights caused the attacking British to overshoot the town.
The ruse worked and only one house in St. Michaels was hit by cannon fire. That house still stands today as a private residence and is known as the “Cannonball House.” The cannon ball fell through the top of the roof and rolled down the stairs.
The Cannonball House is located on Mulberry Street, adjacent to St. Mary’s Square.
You can see St. Michaels and the surrounding area by boat with one of the several cruise options available. The Patriot offers narrated cruises, with dinner and lunch options. Or, if you’d like to experience the area on board a traditional sailing craft, make plans for a sail on the Skipjack H.M. Krentz or catboat Selina II.
Things to See and Do
One of the main attractions in St. Michaels is the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum where you will find exhibits about the Chesapeake Bay region and an impressive collection of Chesapeake Bay watercraft of all types.
The town also has a nice selection of shops and restaurants to explore and, if you get tired of exploring on foot, you can rent a bike to ride around town or rent a kayak to explore the Miles River.
Visit our St. Michaels Attractions page for information on more things to see and do. You’ll also find information about St. Michaels events on our events page.
There’s no shortage of great places to stay in St. Michaels. The Inn at Perry Cabin and St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa are first-rate establishments that pamper their guests with resort-type amenities. There are also lots of in-town bed & breakfast establishments and a selection of vacation home rentals to choose from.
St Michaels Trip Planning Resources
- St. Michaels Travel Reviews at TripAdvisor.com
- St. Michaels Vacation Home Rentals
- St. Michaels Business Association St. Michaels guide with events, dining, shopping, attractions, and more.
- The Town of St Michaels Official town government site.
- Talbot County Office of Tourism The source for Talbot Co. visitor information, including Oxford, Easton, St. Michaels, and Tilghman Island.
- Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum Visit their collection of historic vessels and maritime artifacts.
- Skipjack H.M. Krentz Skipjack sailing cruises out of St. Michaels.
- Patriot Cruises Sightseeing cruises leaving daily from St. Michaels.
- Selina II Cruises Sail on a classic sailing yacht.
- Talbot County Chamber of Commerce Information on attractions and events in St. Michaels and other destinations in Talbot County Maryland.
- St Michaels Tourism – More St. Michaels visitor information.