Visiting Chesapeake City
The town is located along Route 213 and is split north to south by the C&D Canal. This historic canal opened in 1829 and has provided important access to the Chesapeake Bay since. Ocean-going ships and tugs pulling barges can be seen passing through the center of town.
A visit to the C&D Canal Museum gives you a history of the canal, which joins the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays.
The southern portion of the town features the restored 19th century town, which has been declared a historic district. The district includes restored homes, antique and gift shops, and several restaurants and B&Bs. The city has a walking map available for download.
For a view from the water, take a cruise with Chesapeake City Water Tours. The cruises depart from the dock on the south side of town.
If you’re looking to get from one side of Chesapeake City to the other, the Chesapeake City Ferry shuttles people between the North and South sides. The trip takes about five minutes. Boarding cost is $3 per person each way, $5 round-trip. Bicycles are welcome. See ferry service dates and times.
Chesapeake City Bed & Breakfasts
Inn at the Canal – Waterfront views. Six private rooms with private baths. 104 Bohemia Ave, Chesapeake City, MD.
Doc Smithers B&B – Victorian cottage in the historic district. 204 Bohemia Ave, Chesapeake City, MD.
Blue Max Inn Bed and Breakfast – An 1854 inn located in the heart of the town’s historic area. 300 Bohemia Ave, Chesapeake City, MD.
Ship Watch Inn – Renovated home located along the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal waterfront. All rooms face the water. 401 1st Street, Chesapeake City, MD.
Hotels Near Chesapeake CityThe closest chain hotels to Chesapeake City are located near Elkton Maryland, about a 20 minute drive away.
If you want to stay in Chesapeake City, try one of the in-town bed & breakfasts or inns.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elkton – Located near I-95 and about a 20 minute drive to Chesapeake City.
- La Quinta Inn & Suites – All suites hotel. Located just off I-95. Free breakfast. Indoor swimming pool.
- Hampton Inn – Located southeast of Chesapeake City, in Middletown, Delaware. Complementary breakfast and indoor pool.
More Information about Chesapeake City
- Chesapeake City Tourism – Official Chesapeake City tourism website
- Chesapeake City, Maryland – Official town government website
- Vacation Rentals – Chesapeake City area vacation home rentals at HomeAway.com
- Chesapeake City Events – Special events
- Real Estate Listings – Listings in the Chesapeake City area
- Traveler Reviews at TripAdvisor.com